[b-hebrew] virginity

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:55:31 EDT 2007

Harold,

What I am saying is scripturally and legally of the utmost importance
since it may mean the difference between life and death.
If you define virgin as a woman with an intact hymen, then I say the
Hebrew bible has no use for it. A BTULAH is a woman not yet married,
that's all. By tacit assumption she is also chaste. On her marriage
contract, a Jewish woman, first married, is designated as a BTULAH,
even without producing any certificate of virginity. So the most one
can say about an (LMAH is that she is not yet married.

Isaac Fried, Boston University