[b-hebrew] UK Report: Archaeological Find Confirms Hebrew Text of Jeremiah

Martin Shields enkidu at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 12 02:46:04 EDT 2007

Gary,

Mine was intended to be a rhetorical question. Aside from different
languages, there are problems reconstructing vocalisation of the
languages involved, one of the languages (Hebrew) didn't preserve
most vowel sounds, and so on. Further complicating matters, it seems
probable that there were some dialectical variations within the
languages involved such that vocalisation varied depending upon the
speaker. So it seemed to me that asserting that the names are spelled
differently is ultimately meaningless, hence my original comment!

This should not detract from the import of the find (although I'm
surprised they described it as of a similar size to a 10-pack of
cigarettes rather than as about the size of an iPhone...).

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.