[b-hebrew] On Song 2:10

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Feb 18 17:52:01 EST 2007

Bob MacDonald wrote:
> The verse Song 2:10 is typically translated with two imperatives - arise, my
> love, my fair one, and come away - or something to that effect.
>

> Two repetitions of LAK are not translated
>

> arise! (to you), my companion, my fair one, and go/walk! (to you).
>

> What is the grammar or poetry in these two words which I have literally
> rendered as 'to you'?
>

> Any help appreciated

HH: This is called a lamed of interest. It would be rendered as "for
yourself." It indicates that the action of the verb is to be taken in
the interest of the person named with the lamed. It can indicate
advantage or disadvantage, and here it signifies advantage. This was
evidently an emphasizing element of biblical Hebrew, but it is generally
viewed as untranslatable, or unnecessary to translate.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard