[b-hebrew] YHWH

John Wilking jcwilking at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 15:08:49 EST 2007

Isaac,

  I hate to show my ignorance, but would these ideas have any effect on an English translation?  And would there be a difference when it is collocated with HU, as in Isaiah 48:12?  I've been trying to see the difference between "I am he" and "It is I" and the times in which they would occur in English.

  John C. Wilking

Isaac Fried <if at math.bu.edu> wrote:
  John,

In my opinion the stand-alone Hebrew personal pronoun ANI is the compound
AN-I, where AN is an existence marker, or a substantive, corresponding to
the English 'in, on', and I is a universal identity marker [as is U], here
for the one who refers to himself. The I in V-)APS-I of Isaiah 47:8 has the
same purpose. The root )PS, 'complete, replete, full, packed', is a variant
of )BS of Proverbs 15:17.

Isaac Fried, Boston University