[b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH

John Wilking jcwilking at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 22:05:16 EST 2007

Shoshanna,

  How do you relate YHWH with the AHYH in the previous verses of Exodus?

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk at concentric.net> wrote:
  Yes, that makes a difference

I think that the reason that this Name reminds one of the verb "to
be", is because it is referring to the fact that G-d exists in the
past, in the present, and in the future, simultaneously.

Shoshanna Walker

Shoshanna,

I should have said "when HWH is used as a verb." Sorry.

I was assuming that the name YHWH was a reflection of the third
person singular verb form. This seems to be a possibility, correct?

John C. Wilking

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

Of course I know that it is a name and not a verb or a noun, but someone on
this list declared that it was used as a verb, I wanted him to cite where he
thought it was used as a verb.

Shoshanna

> Shoshanna,
>

> YHWH is not a verb and not a noun, it is a personal name. The entire
> "morphological" argument hinges on the, in my opinion undecidable,
question
> as to whether Y and H are radicals or personal pronouns.
>

> Isaac Fried, Boston University

Never miss a thing.
Make
Yahoo your homepage.