[b-hebrew] Replaying

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Dec 17 05:03:39 EST 2007

Pere,

You bring the examples of the acts DIBAR-TI, DIBER [any person markers in DIBER?] and DIBR-U, but let's look at DIBR-AH. Here -HA is as you say a person marker. But it is also a gender maker since it reveals to us the gender of the speaker. Any question about the KOHEN family answered by HI) identifies MARAT KOHEN. It is also a tense marker since it informs us of the relative time frame of the act. So, -AH is here a three-in-one maker. On the other hand in the noun DIBR-AH, 'saying', [as in (ASERET HA-DIBROT] the same -AH is used to inform us something utterly irrelevant, namely the "gender" of 'saying'.

Indeed, it is inconceivable that the ancient Hebrews would have encumbered, say, ')ADAM-AH, 'earth' with the "suffix" -AH just to inform us about something that is utterly irrelevant, and that springs into existence post factum only by dint of the -AH affixation, namely the "gender" of 'earth'. To the contrary, after -AH is added, for whatever reason, the noun becomes classified as "feminine" in the sense of requiring a matching coupler ending for a qualifier as in )ADAM-AH TOB-AH, or as in D)AGAH (AMUQ-AH, 'deep worry', and so on.

Indeed, it is inconceivable that the ancient Hebrews would have encumbered, say, 'CALAX-AT, 'plate, dish' with the "suffix" -AT just to inform us about something that is utterly irrelevant, and that springs into existence only as a result of the -AT affixation, namely the "gender" of 'plate'. To the contrary, after -AT is added, for whatever reason, the noun becomes classified as "feminine" in the sense of requiring a matching coupler ending for a qualifier as in CALAX-AT ROTAX-AT or QARAXA-AT ZORAX-AT.

Indeed, it is inconceivable that the ancient Hebrews would have encumbered, say, ')ADER-ET, 'large [)ADIR] fur coat' with the "suffix" -ET just to inform us about something that is utterly irrelevant, and that springs into existence only by dint of the -ET affixation, namely the "gender" of 'coat'. To the contrary, after -ET is added, for whatever reason, the noun becomes classified as "feminine" in the sense of requiring a matching coupler ending for a qualifier as in ')ADER-ET (OTER-ET.

Indeed, it is inconceivable that the Hebrews would have encumbered, say, 'KAP-IT, 'tea spoon' with the "suffix" -IT just to inform us about something that is utterly irrelevant, and that springs into existence only after the addition of the -IT suffix, namely the "gender" of 'tea spoon'. To the contrary, after -IT is added, for whatever reason, the noun becomes classified as "feminine" in the sense of requiring a matching coupler ending for a qualifier as in KAP-IT XAGIG-IT or MAS)A-IT (ANAQ-IT, 'huge lorry'.

You know how foggy "different concepts" is. The example you bring is also not very apt. Color and thickness are independent or disjoint properties, but every [real] person has gender. MAR KOHEN is a person of the male kind, and MARAT KOHEN is a person of the female kind. I can sympathize with the feminists who say The hell with this distinctions, but we need to distinguish between the two halves of the KOHEN family.

MAR KOHEN is a KANAR, while MARAT KOHEN is a KANAR-IT. Or, possibly, MAR KOHEN is a PSANTR-AN, while MARAT KOHEN is a PSANTR-AN-IT.

Local conclusion: -AH, -AT, -ET, -IT are not gender markers. Global conclusion: Hebrew does not have a marker specific for gender.

Isaac Fried, Boston University