[b-hebrew] Explain it please

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 03:45:22 EST 2007

Hi Isaac,

You wrote this:

> 2. Even though -AH is in my opinion but a contracted HI) it may refer
> to various agents and objects in various relationship modes. We have
> YALDAH, 'girl, child-she', YALDAH, 'she gave birth, produced-a-chid-
> she' and YALDAH, 'her boy, boy-she'.

and this:

> 4. In the adjective TOBAH, 'good', -AH refers to the feminine bearer
> of the attribute, but in the noun TOBAH, 'favor, goodness', -AH
> refers to the thing itself. Incidentally it is "female", as is
> autostradah.
> 5 The counterpart to MAR, 'mister' is MAR-AT, where -AT is surely the
> personal pronoun AT, 'you'. MARAH is 'bitter'. Such is also the
> relationship between GEBER and GBER-ET.

What is the evidence for these assertions?

What is your evidence for equating what has traditionally been analysed
as gender marking to actually be speech-participant marking? I've
already demonstrated that your methodology is without linguistic
support, viz. 1) that you eschew any essential phonemic analysis which
allows you to basically propose anything you want to as it is then up to
the imagination and so is without any constraints; and 2) your
contention -- again without adduced evidence -- that BH has only a
single vowel is linguistically impossible. These two issues lead
ultimately to a fanciful analysis which no one is taking seriously.

You would do well to read monographs which relate to your above
assertions such as the following:

Corbett, Greville G. 1991. Gender. Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Corbett, Greville G. 2000. Number. Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Siewierska, Anna. 2004. Person. Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Regards,
David Kummerow.