[b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Dec 4 10:24:37 EST 2007

Pere,

1. On your website page you are saying that the nun is "inserted". To
me this sounds like some intended act of addition. I think the
implication is misleading and appears to actually result from the
fact that this nun is said to be "energic" and therefore supposedly
of some peculiar power or purpose.
3. You are absolutely right in saying that the question if this nun
is "added" or "subtracted" is idle. The nun is just there.
2. I think that we are in agreement on the fact that there is no
difference in the meaning of Y-QIM-E-HA and Y-QIM-E-NAH. They both
mean 'he-maintain-her'.
3. It stands to reason that the compound YQIMEHA consisted
"originally" of three distinct words HI) QIM HI), 'he-QIM-her', an
act accompanied by two personal pronouns for the actors. With time
the speech economization instinct and the invention of writing,
brought them together into what we see today as a single fused word
with a "prefix" and a "suffix".
4. The initial Y in Y-QIM-E-NAH is thus, in my opinion, a stunted HI)
and the closing NAH [or ANAH] a variant personal pronoun.
5. By saying that T or N are personal pronouns I mean that they are
possibly part of a compound pronoun. In this sense they are either
radicals or identity markers, nothing in between.

Isaac Fried, Boston University