[b-hebrew] Isaac Fried's Theory (was Karl's lexicon)

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 02:09:15 EDT 2007

IF: It appears to me that you are mixing up two distinct linguistic
issues: (1) word formation (which is inherent), and (2) the use of
language (which is invented). I am not interested in the latter, only
in the former. Children don't invent roots.

JCR: So that then begs the question "inherited from
what"? Are you suggesting that the language was
created this way (worth considering)? Or that it
evolved (needs to address the cognitive problems I
have raised)?

IF: I am surprised that you are prepared to accept Steven Pinker's
scientological fantasies as though they were God's word to Moses on
mount Sinai, but keep asking me for a proof to something that is
obviously true.

JCR: Didn't realise he was a scientologist. I usually
just listen to the arguments people make and the data
behind them to consider whether they have good
scientific basis. In any case your objections to
Pinker are irrelevant in this case because the
observations on cognitive development I am referring to
are not his but are firmly rooted in the independent
research of people like Piaget.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation

Isaac Fried, Boston University