[b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Mon Aug 27 10:46:11 EDT 2007

Maybe Ruth 3:4 should be taken into consideration in the
discussion. Any theories that Ruth's lying down and
uncovering Boaz'z feet/legs means that Ruth had sex with
Boaz while he was too out of it to realise what was
happening should also posit that Naomi directly
instructed Ruth to do so.

While I agree that in some places the tendency is to
introduce censorship in translation I have to say that
contextually this understanding doesn't seem to make
sense. The whole point of uncovering Boaz legs/feet
is so that as a result of the cold he would wake up
and find a beautiful woman lying at his feet.

Boaz expresses appreciation for her humble answer not
for the night's activities. If the plan was to win
Boaz over by giving him a good time then surely the
plan would have worked better if he could remember what
a good time he had. As it stands, though, it would seem
that this text means exactly what it says. Ruth went in
when he was asleep, gently uncovered his feet/legs, lay
down and waited. When the sensation of cold provoked
had got strong enough Boaz woke up and found a
beautiful and humble girl at his feet. Contrast this
with the theoretical Ruth walks in, shakes Boaz and
says 'Wake up you old goat! Are you gonna marry me or
what?'.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta