[b-hebrew] Using an unpointed text

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 17:34:05 EDT 2007

YS: James, like I wrote earlier, several other important objections are
that the above sentences are not from a closed corpus and you
have access to native speakers of the language.  These are
significant differences that mean the two cases cannot be
compared.

JCR: Fair enough! Consider the following sentence.

'Voglio mngir un pizz'

Imagine this example comes from a dead language of
which there are no native speakers to consult. It is
from a limited and closed corpus. The only information
you have available from tradition, your understanding
of possible renderings of consonant strings etc is the
following:

Voglio = 1st person singular to want i.e. I want
mngir could be 'mangiare' - 'to eat' or 'maneggiare' -  'to handle'
un could be 'uno' - 'a' (in agreement with masculine nouns
only) or 'una' - 'a' (in agreement with feminine nouns
only)
pizz could be 'pizza' - 'pizza' (singular form) or 'pizze' - 'pizzas' (plural form)

Which of the following do you conclude to be the
correct reading?

Voglio maneggiare uno pizze
Voglio maneggiare una pizze
Voglio maneggiare uno pizza
Voglio maneggiare una pizza
Voglio mangiare uno pizze
Voglio mangiare una pizze
Voglio mangiare uno pizza
Voglio mangiare una pizza

Could you please explain any major difficulties you
encounter in determining the correct reading?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta