[b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Aug 15 00:02:39 EDT 2007

Then think a little harder, because the "need" for a king was because
G-d (and not any human representatives/ 'authors' of the Torah)
COMMANDED - once we possessed and settled our Land - that we appoint
a G-d chosen (ie; with the concurrence of both a prophet and the
Sanhedrin) king with certain qualifications, which are described.

Ie; it was not only permitted, but it was COMMANDED that at some
future point, when we were established in our land that we request a
king.

Devarim 17: 14, 15

Shoshanna

In fact, now I think of it, there is absolutely nothing
I can think of in the hebrew canon that would ever
lead anyone to believe that the conversion to regal
system was considered an improvement by Yhwh and his
representatives, the authors of the canon.

James Christian Read
BSc Computer Science (thesis: concept driven machine translation
using the Aleppo codex)
http://www.lamie.org/hebrew

  Furthermore, the
regal system proved to be no less flawed and perhaps
even more so than the period of the Judges. They then
also had to start paying tax as a result of their
faithless request for a king.