[b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

Calvin Lindstrom pclindstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 16:51:54 EDT 2007

James Jordan has a very interesting commentary on Judges that goes
against the typical Protestant and pietistic view.

It is available at:

http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/21ee_47e.htm

Calvin Lindstrom
Church of Christian Liberty
Arlington Heights, IL
www.christianliberty.com

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Dave Washburn wrote:

> On Mon, August 13, 2007 12:47 pm, Yigal Levin wrote:
>> Dear Bruce,
>>
> [snip]
>> Your comment about "Christendom paints Samson as a bad man" is
>> interesting.
>> How representative is that statement of different Christian
>> denominations.
> [snip]
>
> It's pretty thoroughly representative from what I've seen.  Most
> Christian-based commentaries paint him as a failure in his mission,
> and
> see women as the cause of his downfall.  I disagree wholeheartedly,
> and in
> 1992 I presented a paper to the ETS annual meeting arguing that
> Samson's
> problem wasn't lust, but loneliness.  As for his mission, the
> oracle his
> father is said to have received said he would "begin to" deliver
> Israel
> from the Philistine oppression; I see this as setting things up for
> the
> rise of the davidic dynasty which ultimately (according to the
> text) threw
> off the Philistine yoke and established an independent kingdom.
> Viewed in
> this wider context, his mission wasn't a failure at all.
>
> However, I'm far from representative of the average Christian
> commentator.
>  It's much more common to see him described in terms such as "the
> profligate judge" as one commentary put it.

>>> for Samson was to rile the Philistines - a task he seemed