[b-hebrew] lev. 19:16

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Thu Apr 26 09:48:24 EDT 2007

Dear b-Haverim,

The verse is not about literally rescuing someone.  It's about being a
proper witness.

The root `amad means to abide or remain.  Here it has the sense of
remaining silent while justice is at issue.  The reference is very
specific in this context to the manner in which one testifies.  A
witness should not repeat unfounded tales (_lo' telek rakiyl_); nor
should he countenance a wrongdoing (_lo' ta`amod `al dam re`eka_) about
which he has definite information.  IOW, a witness should keep silent
about what he suspects and speak up about what he knows.

Shalom,
Bryan