[b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu

Philip philipengmann at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 03:06:11 EDT 2007

Dear Listees,

  According to Benjamin Davidson’s Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, (Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1970), page 768, the verb UhreF.;faT4 (teaterehu) in MT Psalm 8:6[5] is formed from a combination of a third person singular feminine imperfect piel verb, rF.;faT4 (teater) (rF.;faT4 (teater) is derived from the root verb, rFafA (tatar) meaning, I surround, I encompass),[1] and the third person singular masculine suffix, Uh (ho) meaning, him; UhreF.;faT4 (teaterehu) therefore literally meaning, ‘she will crown him’.[2]

  However this analysis of the verb, UhreF.;faT4 in MT Psalm 8:6[5] does not seem to fit the context of Psalm 8:6[5].

  What is your take on this please?

  Philip Engmann.

      [1] Benjamin Davidson, The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, (Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1970), 768.

    [2] Ibid.