[b-hebrew] Sholomo and Yedidyah

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:43:03 EDT 2007

Yohanan:

I think part of the answer lies in the difference between the Hebrew
and English definitions of "name". I read this verse with the
understanding that in Hebrew, "name" had a broader meaning than in
English, which included references to attributes, not only the formal
name. So that when the prophet came with the claim that the "name" was
Yedidyah", he referred to the attribute that Sholomo was beloved of
YHWH at that time, not that that was his name in the more restrictive
English sense.

Karl W. Randolph.