[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 18 18:08:23 EDT 2007

Uri,

You are right. Since school days I am being constantly reminded that
the Dagesh forte in the TAV of ATAH is to account for a "missing" or
"assimilated" NUN. But I have hard time accepting this. Is it
conceivable that the NAKDANIM would mar the sacred text for a reason
that is practically utterly irrelevant? Do we care as we read the
Torah that at some point AT was possibly ANT, and BAT was possibly
BANT? If I remember correctly this is also the reason given for the
Dagesh following MI- and HA-. Do you believe it? The speculation that
the discarded NUN did not go away quietly but rather left a faint
remainder in the form of a "slight emphatic pronounciation as still
heard in Masoretes time" is not easy for me to accept either.

Isaac Fried, Boston University