[b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 23:39:15 EDT 2007

Steve Miller wrote:
> Thanks Isaac. Sorry I should have seen that Kranot was horns. I was thinking
> you were referring to some kind of pointing.
>

> Your explanation makes sense except that I do not think you can make 2
> sequential actions out of LeHAXARID LeYADOT without a waw before LeYADOT.

There might be ways of thinking like that if you thought that casting
down meant destroying. The terrifying would precede the destruction. But
Isaac offers the alternative of a comma, which is what the NRSV has. The
NIV for style purposes inserts "and" between the infinitives. I think a
bigger problem is that the Hiphil of XRD means "startle" or "terrify."
Where is the evidence elsewhere for it meaning "rock loose." I can see
how you might guess that from a Qal idea of "tremble," but where is the
evidence? Also I think the horns represent powers, or people, rather
than physical war machines. That is why an idea like "terrify" seems
more suitable.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard