[b-hebrew] What language?

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Apr 14 17:05:59 EDT 2007

On 14 Apr 2007 at 20:23, Mario Trinchero wrote:

> hebrew and aramaic is translated to greek
> is difficolt to know if from hebew or aramaic
>
> yours
>
> Mario Trinchero

Not really.  The majority of vocabulary represented in the transliterated quotes is clearly
Aramaic.

You also wrote in a separate message:

> effata (marc 7,34)
> with alef  is aramaic
> with he is hebrew

This tells us the sum total of nothing, since the Greek text reads  so we can't tell
one from another. Except at the beginning of a word, Greek had no way to indicate an "h"
sound or a glottal stop.  However, the smooth breathing and the e-class vowel at the
beginning suggest that the form is an aph`el, making it Aramaic.

As I said, there is no Hebrew in the NT that we know of.