[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Vadim Cherny vadimcherny at mail.ru
Fri Apr 13 11:56:06 EDT 2007

> I know that the Qatal commonly refers to the past
> but do you acknowledge any acceptions to that?
> Such as when the verb refers to a continuing state.
> Gen 4:9.
>  9 וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל־קַיִן אֵי הֶבֶל אָחִיךָ וַיֹּאמֶר לֹא יָדַעְתִּי
> הֲשֹׁמֵר אָחִי אָנֹכִי׃
> And the LORD said unto Cain: 'Where is Abel thy brother?' And he said: 'I
> KNOW not; am I my brother's keeper?'

That usage of yadati parallels Gen3:7
idy is not "know" but "see"
the words are closely related in Old Russian (видеть, ведать) and Sanskrit
(wid)
Cain answers, "I didn't see [him recently]"

> Gen 32:11
>
> קָטֹנְתִּי מִ‍כֹּל הַחֲסָדִים

I [was born] too little
or, Jacob could be plain sardonic: "Because of your favors I am diminished"

In other words, qatal is always past tense, no exceptions

Vadim Cherny