[b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Apr 13 04:32:02 EDT 2007

Dear Gary and all,

I've been staying away from this thread and its offshoots, mostly because
it's been the blind preaching to the deaf (in both directions). However, I
want to point out that "mexuda$" is a modern Hebrew form, which does not
appear in the Bible. I cannot find any place in which "xada$" definately
means "renewed", but there are certainly some places in which both "new" and
"renewed" would fit the context.
There is, however, the verbal form "xidde$" (piel), which definately can
mean either.

The "berit xada$ah" of Jer. 31:31 can be compared to the new earth and new
sky of Isaiah 65:17. Will God really abolish the existing earth and sky?

Yigal Levin