[b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 7 05:08:10 EDT 2007

Hi Rolf,

The thing is I do understand the distinction -- I just don't agree with
it, that's all! Both you and Nordlander have failed to deal
substantively with the arguments against your position. The supposedly
"cancellable meaning" of English "have" which you and Nordlander have
suggested has been demonstrated to be highly questionable, at least to
native speakers. Your presentation fell on "rocky places" because the
methodological assumptions of the position are themselves shaky, seen by
the lack of substantive arguments against the critique which still
stands in the absence of any meaningful refutation.

Of course "uncancellable meaning can of course never be cancelled", as
you suggest. But what if "uncancellable meaning" is actually fallacious?
What then? It is for Nordlander analysis of "have"? And what of the BH
verbal system...?

Regards,
David Kummerow.