[b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:09:18 EDT 2007

Hi Rolf,

A problem with what is presented below is that "have" in English never
occurs in isolation, but Norlander says that there is an uncancellable
meaning associated with "have" that occurs in isolation! However, this
"isolated meaning" is to some extent an abstraction based on its
occurrences in actual constructional contexts. Some of these contexts
have to do with "possession" as I described, while there is also
contexts of "eating".

As Stoney has already said, what is presented below by Norlander
actually misses the prototypical contrast in English between "have
dinner" and "dine", ie "dine" is a formal occasion (either at a
up-market restaurant or at home with fine china and silverware, usually
with guests), while "have dinner" is the everyday-meal had as the last
large meal of the day (at least in most of Australia; I grew up in
country QLD where "dinner" was the meal in the middle of the day).
"Dine" does not carry the same timing association and can be used for
the middle-of-the-day meal or the last meal so long as it is a formal
occasion.

The contrast is not a stative :: process opposition as Nordlander
suggests but has more to do with the formality of occasion. There are
other distributional facts noted by Stoney that are not taken into
account by Nordlander.

Nordlander also suggests that what was claimed is the claim of
non-linguists -- but Peter is a trained linguist, so what we are saying
cannot simply be dismissed as the naive claims of the linguistically
unskilled.

Besides, which would you or Nordlander prefer: to "have dinner" or to
"dine"? You can "have dinner" at Maccas, but you can't "dine" on Maccas
-- not without some lowering of standards!

Regards,
David Kummerow.