[b-hebrew] Transcription Question?

Seth Knorr ftbaccounts at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 15:29:09 EDT 2006

Thank you for the help, additionaly I did not find the transliteration for  “Vav” as a Vowel and “Vav” as a Consonant?

Also what is the transliteration for a “Chireq”?

Thanks,

Seth Knorr

Yonah Mishael <yonahmishael at gmail.com> wrote:
  Information about the transliteration scheme can be found at this URL:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/

Since Hebrew is most often written without vowels, it is a natural thing for
list members to exclude vowels in their transliterations. Transliterations
are from left-to-right in the common English order.

(M or (AM = "am" עם (people)
A is for "patach"

MLK or MELEK = "melekh" מלך (king, ruler)
E is for "segol"

MLK or MFLAK = "malakh" מָלַךְ (he ruled, reigned, etc.)
F is for "qamats"

SPR or S"PER = "sefer" ספר (book, scroll)
" is for "tsere"

All of this and more is covered on the URL above.

Also, you should bookmark the listinfo page:

$LWM / שלום / shalom,
Yonah

On 9/12/06, Seth Knorr wrote:

> I am new to the list so I looked at the transcription list at:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/
>
> But had some questions.
>
> Is final "mem" expressed simply as "mem"?
>
> Also I see nothing for a "patach"? OR are these just ignored?
>
> For instance if I want to transcribe one of the words for "people" should
> it be: M(
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Seth Knorr