[b-hebrew] The name

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Sep 12 14:19:46 EDT 2006

On 12/09/2006 18:25, Blankinship, Benjamin wrote:
> So, Saul was telling the story in Hebrew, but Luke wrote it in Greek. Do
> you assume that Luke translated "Yeshua" to "Jesus" in the act of
> writing the story out?

Yes, certainly. Just as we automatically convert many foreign names into
English versions when we write them in English. We don't do that so much
with personal names these days (although we do with place names), but
consider e.g. Pope John Paul II - "John" is not the Latin, Italian or
Polish but the English form.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/