[b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest-angels

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Sep 12 13:40:22 EDT 2006

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>The correct translation is entice, not incite.
>
>Maybe you don't read everything that I send, I already explained,
>that is precisely Satan's job.  He is, as usual, just doing his job.
>His job is to ENTICE people to disobedience against G-d, so that they
>can exercise their ability of choice between "good" and "evil" ie;
>obedience or disobedience to G-d.
>
>Zecharia 3:2 poses no contradiction.  Chazal's understanding is that
>this is an angel of G-d scolding Satan for harassing Joshua, and
>telling Satan that G-d should denounce him.  Even if it is not an
>angel talking to Satan, it still doesn't contradict his job.  His job
>is to entice people to sin, apparently he was given free reign to
>entice anyone he wants.

HH: If he's just doing his job, then God wants him to lie (Genesis 3).
But that's false because God hates lies:

Prov. 6:16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are
detestable to him:
Prov. 6:17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
Prov. 6:18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to
rush into evil,
Prov. 6:19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up
dissension among brothers.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard