[b-hebrew] Fwd: origin of evil

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Sep 7 20:09:50 EDT 2006

Dear David and Liz,

> *lizfried at umich.edu wrote:*
>**
>"So now, accordingly, qn' (qana')is translated as
>"zealous" when the subject is God (e.g. Exod 20:5)and as "jealous" when a
>human is the subject (e.g., Gen. 26:14).  Yet, I would maintain that it is
>YHWH's very jealousy that has maintained the Jews over 3000 years of
>persecutions, nothing else. Jews do not worship other gods, for that simple
>reason, that YHWH is a jealous god. Nevertheless, Christians tend to
>translate the term as "zealous" in Exod. 20:5 because jealousy is seen as a
>negative emotion. It seems to me that the god that Christians see in the OT
>tends to be a Platonic idealization of YHWH, which is fine, but it is
>different from the god that Jews see when they read the Hebrew Bible."
>
> ---------------------End Original Message-------------------------
>
>I do not know about other Christians, but we Catholics do not see jelousy in
>a negative connotation, we believe that the word is highly misunderstood
>though. You have really got me thinking about what the true image of YHWH
>ought to be in my mind though, never thought about my philosophical
>upbringing as changing what the OT is truly saying.
>
>I know that you did not say all Christians translate the term as zealous.
>Anyway, I figured it would aid the discussion to see a Christian
>translation:
>
>"you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your
>God, am a *jealous* God, inflicting punishment for their fathers' wickedness
>on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth
>generation" (NAB). - Exodus 20:5

HH: Protestants, too, understand God's jealousness in a positive way.
Here are a few Protestant translations of the same verse:

KJV Ex. 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:
for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the
fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them
that hate me;

NIV Ex. 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the
LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of
the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

NRSV Ex. 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the
LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of
parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

Yours,
Harold Holmyard