[b-hebrew] Satan

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Sep 6 13:45:13 EDT 2006

Dear Yigal,

>As you understand, I do not accept NT interpretation of the Tanakh. I also
>don't neccesarily accept Talmudic interpratation as binding, although it is
>relevant for understanding the developement of Jewish tradition.
>
>We must remember, that God is not human. What does "hate" mean to God? Does
>God truly have emotions, or does scripture use human emotions in the same
>way as it uses other human characteristics, such as God's hand, arm, face,
>backside etc. , as imperfect metaphors that help US comprehend a small point
>of God's characteristics.

HH: God inspired the Bible, so he wants us to think of him in terms of
having emotions.

> So your question of "Why should God create
>something He hates?" is simply irrelevant - because it's part of His plan,
>of which we can only see a small part.

HH: Genesis 1 describes how God created, and God saw everything as good
and was pleased. He did not create something he hated.

>>HH: They are not wicked when created.
>>

>What about Gen. 8:21: "For man's yetser-lev is evil from his youth"?
>I understand "yetser-lev" as "inclination of the heart".

HH: Genesis 8:21 is long after the creation. The fall of man has
occurred through sin (Genesis 3), so that all children are born affected
by it.

>>HH: There are complex reasons why storms occur, but it is not God's job
>>to stop storms from occurring.
>>

>Why not? He created the laws of nature - he could have created them
>differently.

HH: He did create them differently, but then the fall of man through sin
came, and it was appropriate for God to make changes or for changes to
occur.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard