[b-hebrew] Question: Daniel 9: 1 and 2 with Rashi

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Sep 5 20:38:39 EDT 2006

I can't follow Rashi on the second verse.  Does this make sense to
anyone?  Does it solve any of the questions we had, dating events?

Shoshanna

Daniel - Chapter 9

1. In the first year of Darius, the son of Ahasuerus of the seed of
Media, who was crowned over the kingdom of the Chaldeans.

In the first year of Darius, the son of Ahasuerus This is not the
Ahasuerus of the days of Haman, for he was the king of Persia,
whereas this one was Darius the Mede who was crowned over the kingdom
of the Chaldeans when Belshazzar was slain, as is written above
(6:1): "And Darius the Mede took (sic) the kingdom."

2. In the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, contemplated the
calculations, the number of the years that the word of the Lord had
come to Jeremiah the prophet, since the destruction of Jerusalem
seventy years.

Contemplated the calculations Heb. ????????? ???????????.

the number of the years, etc. I contemplated the calculation of the
years, for I thought about what Jeremiah (29:10) prophesied: "For at
the completion of seventy years of Babylon I will remember you," and
I thought that this remembrance is the building of the Temple, and
that the seventy years end in the first year of Darius the Mede,
since the kingdom of Babylon stretched forth a hand upon Israel, when
Nebuchadnezzar vanquished Jehoiakim to be his slave. Now that was in
the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, as the master said (Meg.
11b): "In the first year he conquered Nineveh; in the second year he
went up and vanquished Jehoiakim." Figure from that year until now,
and you will find them [the 70 years]. This calculation is found also
in the Mishnah of Seder Olam (ch. 28), and we learned there that in
the year of Belshazzar's death were 70 years from the day that
Nebuchadnezzar ascended the throne: seventy minus one since the day
that he conquered Jehoiakim, and yet one more year for Babylon, which
Darius completed. And when I [Daniel] saw that the redemption was not
hastening to come, I contemplated and put my heart to the
calculation, and I knew that I should not have counted according to
the conquest of Jehoiakim but [according] to the destruction of
Jerusalem, when 70 years will be complete from the exile of Zedekiah,
when Jerusalem was destroyed. And there are yet 18 years to come, for
this exile was in the eighteenth year counting from the conquest of
Jehoiakim, as we learned in Seder Olam: "They were exiled in the
seventh year; they were exiled in the eighth year; they were exiled
in the eighteenth year; they were exiled in the nineteenth year." Our
Sages in Tractate Megillah (11b) explained that they were exiled in
the exile of Jeconiah in the seventh year, counting from the conquest
of Jehoiakim, which is the eighth year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign.
They were exiled a second time in the eighteenth year, counting from
the conquest of Jehoiakim, which is the nineteenth year of
Nebuchadnezzar's reign.