[b-hebrew] Daniel

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Sep 3 16:04:48 EDT 2006

Mordechai was the head of the Sanhedrin and the head of the Men of
the Great Assembly, in Jerusalem, and also one of the 48 prophets of
Israel.

That is not to say that he headed a Sanhedrin or Great Assembly
outside of Israel.

He went into exile twice, the first time he went into exile on his
own (the Exile of Yechonya, King of Judah, 3328 - like Yirmiyahu who
afterwards went into exile on his own), with Daniel, to be with the
people and teach them, but soon returned to Jerusalem.  The second
time, was not of his own will, when Nevuchadnezar had driven him to
Bavel, together with the final Exile (3338).

He was already an old man at the time of these events.

Shoshanna

It is not quite true that the Sanhedrin did not operate in Babylonia,
according to the rabbinic re-construction of history, Mordechai was the head
of the "sanhedrin" in his generation, even though he lived in Persia. The
sanhedrin was re-established in the land of Israel by Ezra, under the title
of "the Great Assembly".

Yigal Levin