[b-hebrew] Moses' writing? [was: The New Testament]

rochelle altman willaa at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 26 11:38:02 EDT 2006

Look, JCR,

If you want to be taken seriously, please do not put words in my mouth and
then use *your* words to insult me. To quote your own post: "was there
actually a thought process that went into" your "statement"? Your reasoning
is fallacious and ungrounded in anything I have written. Show me where I
have ever stated that in b'midbar they had walls to put them on. In fact, I
have stated rather clearly that THE TABLETS HAD TO FIT INTO THE ARK.
.
Dang, I have to keep reminding myself that you have to spell it out like a
step by step instruction manual for some people at the risk of offending
the intelligence of others. So for the others, please excuse me.

For JCR only, it seems:Here goes:

The points which you clearly have failed to understand are these:

1) These were "city" mice forced to wander in a waste.

2) "City" mice are accustomed to customs.

3) Custom hardens into rules very fast..

4) The customs in the ANE required certain dimensions and formats for
presenting legal documents as coming from an authority.

5) The tablets would have had to meet these expected customary forms to be
accepted as authoritative... whether or not there was a wall to display
them on. In this case, they were placed in a carry-case called an ark

6) Moshe is described as following custom when he presents the tablets to
the people.

7) From the evidence of the PaleoLev scroll, once there were walls to put
them on, they followed custom and displayed the Torah on the wall. (They
also returned to "city" mousery as soon as they could... something that
tends to be ignored.)

8) The customs of the ANE in presenting authoritative documents continued
in use essentially unchanged through the entire Greco-Roman, Medieval, and
early Renaissance periods

9) Remnants of these ancient customs survive to this day.(e.g. legal size
paper; black equals law; stripes equal rank).

10) If you wish to maintain otherwise, you must provide the contradictory
evidence.

Now, do you get it?

And whatever you do when you have finally completed your degree, do not put
words from a fertile imagination into other people's mouths and then use
your own imagined reasoning to insult them. As rough as the 19th-century
scholars were, they did not stoop to such tactics. It's a very bad habit
and one to be avoided..

risa

Dr. Rochelle I. S. Altman
: