[b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

Edward Andrews edandrews at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 2 09:45:12 EDT 2006

Bob MacDonald:

First, I am no Biblical Hebrew scholar by any means, nor do I post to this
site often (mostly read), but I thought I would toss in a helpful tip on one
of Harold's points. The three numbers in Hebrew are singular, plural, and
dual. The dual (identified by the suffix a yim) is customarily used for
objects that appear as pairs, such as hands (ya·dha´yim) and ears ('oz·na´yim).

Dual nouns ending in (a yim) form their construct state as Harold pointed
out by changing (a yim) into (e eh). That is what you are seeing take place
in Psalm 145:15.

BM: Is there an online resource for these questions? I have been using Blue

Letter Bible and some sites that seem to derive from the same basic

resources. I find they do not deal with all the words in the Hebrew text.

Yes, Bob, Welch University offers basics, intermediate and advanced Biblical
Hebrew courses.

http://www.robertwelchuniversity.org/content.php?con=31

Edward Andrews