[b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re:Nun-Tav-Vet root

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Nov 30 18:34:59 EST 2006

Shalom Isaac,

I think you are confusing two traditions - that of the Tablets with the Ten
Commandments being written "by the finger of God", and that of Moses writing
the entire Torah, all five books, "by the mouth of God". I agree with you
that "al-pi" could mean "according to", but remember that this passage is
not from the Bible, but rather from a much later liturgy.

Yigal Levin