[b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re: Nun-Tav-Vet root

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Nov 30 18:17:42 EST 2006

Sorry, I don't know which verse you are referring to, my email
program is not configured to read Hebrew.

"mouth of" is just figurative, G-d doesn't have a mouth or any body
parts, but our tradition is that Moshe actually heard G-d telling him
the Torah, Moshe lifting the tablets skyward, as you said - is in the
movies.

As for the fire in the movies, that is a misunderstanding of our
tradition that the prototype was written in black fire on white fire.

Shoshanna

Shoshana,
I know that it is a frivolous question, and for a true believer may
even appear to border on blaspheme. The way God communicates with man
is off limits to any rational enquiry. Yet you know that as the Torah
is lifted after the public reading the congregation rises and
proclaims in unison:
¬Ý×ï×ñ×êׁ ×îׁ×ï×®×î ×êש׮ ש×ù ×ûש×î ×úק×Ý×ô ×ë×Ý×ô ×ôש׮×ê×ú
×¢×ú ק×ô ×ê×ì×ï×Ý×ô ×ë×ô×ì ×ûש×î¬Ý
where ×¢×ú ק×ô may mean 'according to' or 'from the mouth of.'¬Ý

This appears to negate the notion that Moshe lifted the tables
skyward (as I have seen with my own eyes in the movies)¬Ýand God put
on them his writ with a hand of fire.
Isaac Fried