[b-hebrew] Capernaum

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:59:08 EST 2006

Peter:

On 11/30/06, Peter Kirk <peter at qaya.org> wrote:

> >> LOL! The firewall that stopped me did not give me the option of buying
> >> a copy. Anyways, the academician already has his salary.
> >>

> > Try clicking on "Full PDF".  It quoted me a price of $23.  If this
> > article didn't
> > involve what appears to me to be a relatively insignificant issue, I might
> > have been of more help.

> But by charging what seems to me a deliberately prohibitive amount to
> casual purchasers, they suggest to me either that they are financially
> incompetent or that their real motivation is something more like what
> Karl alleged. In fact more probably they are trying to encourage regular
> rather than one-off subscribers, for (from
> http://www.oxfordjournals.org/theolj/access_purchase/price_list.html)
> they charge only $78 for an annual subscription including online access
> presumably to the whole journal series.
>

> --
> Peter Kirk
> E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
> Blog:    http://speakertruth.blogspot.com/
> Website: http://www.qaya.org/

This is something strange. Both URLs to the article, both yours and
Yitzhak's, dumped me onto the same page that simply asked for my
academic ID and password, giving me no other options. Not even the
option of purchase.

I have noticed that about a third to half the articles referenced on
this list pass me onto that same page, this is the first time I said
anything about it. It is effective censorship, restricting who has
access to scholarship.

Karl W. Randolph.