[b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re: Nun-Tav-Vet root

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Nov 25 06:12:35 EST 2006

You say: "Biblical Hebrew may have had the spoken structure of CVCVCV
where each
consonant was followed by a vowel". The designation of V for a vowel
is appropriate in the Indo-European languages where a vowel is a mere
sound. It is patently misleading in Hebrew. You my liberally add the
A sound to a Hebrew word, but not the U and I sounds since they stand
for personal pronouns. You need also to make a distinction in this
respect between nouns and verbs.

One must beware of applying the crude terminology of Indo-European
linguistics (actually Englishtics) to Hebrew.