[b-hebrew] vowel length

Reinhard G. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Tue Nov 7 14:35:17 EST 2006

Yitzhak,

a really great description of complicated matters in a short way -
congratulations!
(I always teach the in the first weeks of my Biblical Hebrew beginners
class - and it works!!!)

Just one remark: I'd like better to say: The Massoretes were aware of
vowel lenghth - of course, for they were not deaf -, but they were not
so much interested in.

Reinhard
> No.  The Massoretes were aware of vowel length.  But vowel length,
> at least in most cases, was not phonemic.  Vowel length was a product
> of the history of the Hebrew language, but due to the development of
> the Hebrew language, it so happened that given a particular syllable
> and stress structure, the vowel lengths of the various syllables in the
> word were fixed.  That is, open and stress vowels were lengthened
> during this development and long unstressed vowels took on
[...snip]