[b-hebrew] Yitzhak - Canaanites/Amorites/Language - a reply

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jun 29 18:23:49 EDT 2006

Chris:

Recently I was sent a photograph of pages 124-5
offlist where another person (who shall remain
nameless) tried to convince me that Qohelet is
post-Exile.

Yes, the book is amazing. The biggest thing that
amazed me is that Saenz-Badillos presented no
linguistic data, just speculation. He made claims
based on how he reconstructed how Hebrew should
have been, without referencing documentation of how
Hebrew actually was. Actually, he can't reference
documentation, as the documents needed to back up
his claims do not exist. Some of his claims were
actually based on the Masoretic pointing, as if
that has some bearing on the original consonantal
text. On the surface those pages appeared erudite,
but when I tried to follow up on them, I found them
either contradicted by Biblical data, speculative
or mere assertions that I could not follow up on.

If the rest of the book is like those two pages, I
wouldn't waste my time on it.

Of course, I'm assuming that the photograph which
has the title as "History of the Hebrew language"
with no author is the same book.

Karl W. Randolph.