[b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jun 29 17:31:28 EDT 2006

Awohili at aol.com wrote:

>It's quite simple.  I'm not fishing.  I asked a question, which  has been
>ignored.  I'd like a cogent answer to my question, which no one  has answered yet.

HH: The answer is that the context is different in the two verses,
calling for a different handling of the verb in English. If a verb is
imperfective in aspect, then it can be present or future. The original
hearer would have adjusted according to the context. The future simply
does not suit 3:14b well, as has already been explained. To name
yourself "I will be" without a predicate leaves the hearer with a God
who exists in the future but perhaps not in the present. But the future
does suit 3:12 well. You could translate 3:12 as "I am with you," but
the futuristic context makes that less appropriate in English. The fact
is that God was with Moses at that moment and would be with him at every
step from that time onwards. It was partially for this reason that God
sought to put him to death when he attempted to return to Egypt without
having circumcised his son (Ex 4:24-25). God as with him, and he was
not  free any longer to ignore the demands of God's covenant with
Abraham. So in a technical sense "I am with you" would be correct.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard