[b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 16:23:09 EDT 2006

In a message dated 06/29/2006 10:58:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur at nyx.net writes:

I don't know  that anybody said it's not "acceptable," most have just said
it's preferrable  to
translate it as present tense.

That just begs the question.  Why is it any more  "preferable" to translate
ehyeh as "I Am" at Exodus 3:14 than at  Exodus 3:12, where KJV, NIV, NRSV,
NASB, NAB and others render it as "I will  be"?  It's the same word, and the
context hasn't changed.

Obviously, many translators find it "preferable" to render  ehyeh as "I will
be" at Exodus 3:12.  Yet, two verses later, it's "I  Am."

I see nothing convincing here.

Solomon Landers