[b-hebrew] This is only a test

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Jun 5 18:50:13 EDT 2006

On 05/06/2006 23:20, David P Donnelly wrote:
> Inseparable Prepositions
>

> יְרוּשָׁלַיִ&
> #1501; plus
> בִּירוּשָׁלַי
> ִם = בְּ
>
> The above does not look good on the computer screen on Wikipedia!
>
> The above looks much better when printed out
> but it is definitely less than perfect when printed out
>

> {{Hebrew|יְרוּשָׁלַ&#1497
> ;ִם}} plus
> {{hebrew|בִּירוּשָׁל&#146
> 3;יִם}} = {{hebrew|בְּ}}
>
> The above looks good on the computer screen on Wikipedia
>
> The above looks even better when printed out

None of this looks at all good on b-hebrew, as it is displayed (at least
by Thunderbird) as explicit character entities, e.g. "& # 1 4 9 7 ;"
without the spaces. That is because b-hebrew accepts plain text only,
and these character entities are HTML constructs which are not (or at
least should not be) recognised in plain text.

The only proper standard-compliant way to send Hebrew script to the
b-hebrew list is to select plain text with UTF-8 encoding (not
"us-ascii" which you selected) and send properly UTF-8 encoded Unicode
Hebrew. But there are still people on the list using mail clients (left
over from the Ark, I think) which don't support UTF-8 encoding and so
cannot display this Hebrew. And I am not sure what now works properly in
the archives.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/