[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?

Sesamo m. sesamox at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 05:41:39 EST 2006

I remember having read that chapters 1 and 2 of 1 Samuel were originally
about Saul and later changed to Samuel. The reasons were two:

First:
1 Sam 1:20: "and in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called
his name Samuel, for she said, "I have asked him of the LORD."
1 Sam 1: 28: "Therefore I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives, he
is lent to the LORD."
They said "Saul" means "asked (of God)" or "lent (to God)" and so it fits
well with these verses, while "Samuel" ("name of God") doesn't.

Second:
Hannah's song at 1 Samuel chapter 2 is a monarchist song, while Samuel
wasn't a king. (However, I've read that other critics consider this song as
a very later addition).

How can believers of the divine inspiration of the Bible deal with these
ideas? I guess the answer for the second point is a question of exegesis and
so out of place in this forum, but the first point has to do with the
language itsef.

Cheers!
Sergio