[b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 11:32:46 EST 2006

Yitzhak Sapir  wrote, inter alia:
    ..." In any case, Modern Hebrew has no
genetic relation to any earlier form of Hebrew but is a
resurrected language."
            I repeat your words: NO genetic relation to any earlier form of Hebtrew ??!!
            come on!             UH

            He also mentioned that Rochelle Altman said that "the Masoretes had tin ears"..
             I too noticed this statement in an earlier post of hers. Now, it is a fact that
  that they introduced marks for half vowels into their vowelling system -- the "chatafim" --   for the guttorals. Without discussing this innovation in details, let me say this  indicates the opposite of "tin ears",  rather a sharp auditory perception.

     In Arabic vowelling the 'skun',  or quiescent Shewa, serves also guttorals.

     Uri