[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jan 6 10:29:11 EST 2006

Dear Rolf,

>Dear Karl,
>
>Your last words are true, we have no way to know the old pronunciation, or,
>as one of the Israeli scholars on the list earlier suggested (I do not
>remember who), the pronunciations. (Diachronically speaking a language and
>word pronunciation tend to change.) The Masoretic shewa of the first
>syllable need not show that the vowel of that syllable in B.C.E. would
>resemble E, since the default prununciation of shewa in the days of the
>Masorets (who used the shewa) was "A".

HH: Thanks for the reminder.

>The theophoric names beginning in YEHO- contain the first part of the divine
>name, and there is no way to know whether the O of the second syllable is an
>original vowel or whether it represents the third letter (WAW) of YHWH. So,
>only two things
>seem to be quite certain, namely, that the name had three syllables and that
>the vowel of the second syllable was O.

HH: You have confused me here. Are you saying that the Hebrew equivalent
of Jehoiakim (the name in the subject header) had three syllables? Then
you would not be counting the initial shewa as a syllable. This may be
the way shewa is treated in counting meter. If the Massoretes pronounced
the shewa as an "A," how would they have avoided  having four syllables?

Yours,
Harold Holmyard