[b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

Schmuel schmuel at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 23:27:17 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

  Here is a cross-disciplinary question :-)

  The Reformation Bibles we know have a different book order and
combination of books than the Hebrew Bible, and its tri-partite division.

   Where did this Christian book-order arise ?  It is said sometimes that
it arose from the Greek Tanach (socalled LXX) translations, but those
manuscripts are quite inconsistent, so I am skeptical of that claim, at
least it needs more detail about who, where, when.

  Is there a study of the process that gave us the current Christian Bible
book order in Tanach ?  Is this discussed in early days, like with Jerome ?
How did he order his Latin Vulgate, translated from the Hebrew-Aramaic ?
Do we know ?

  Hopefully this is in the bounds of this forum, if not, give a holla and I'll
take it to some of the less helpful and creative thinkers :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery