[b-hebrew] Mashiach

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Aug 31 19:06:14 EDT 2006

Dear Yonah,

>One of the phrases that sticks out to me in Isaiah 53 is ידוע חלי inverse 3. חולי means "sickness," just as we say that someone is חולה"sick." When was Jesus ever sick so that he should be "familiar withsickness"? There are plenty of things in the text that do not supportthe Christian notion of Jesus.

HH: This word "sickness" also means "suffering" in general, according to
A Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament. See the following
verses. I will capitalize the relevant word:

NIV Eccl. 6:2 God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he
lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy
them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a
grievous EVIL.

NRSV Jer. 10:19  Woe is me because of my hurt! My wound is severe. But I
said, “Truly this is my PUNISHMENT, and I must bear it.”

>This text is a metaphor for the nations looking at Israel (or at leastat the righteous remnant of Israel) and being surprised at how theywere mistreated in their innocence. A clear indicator of this comes inverse 8:
>מעצר וממשפט לקח    ואת דורו מי ישוחחכי נגזר מארץ חיים    מפשע עמי נגע למו
>It says that he was "cut off from the land of the living," which is aclear reference to being forced out of the land of promise — EretsYisra'el.

HH: The "land of the living" throughout the Bible is earth, in contrast
with the underworld of the dead. Being cut off refers to a person being
killed:

Is. 53:9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in
his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Is. 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for
our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and
by his wounds we are healed.

Is. 53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her
shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard