[b-hebrew] Mashiach

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Aug 31 06:37:32 EDT 2006

Dear Shoshanna,

>Isaiah 49: 1-5    As he prepares to prophesy regarding many
>countries, Isaiah stresses that G-d selected him for this purpose -
>even from the womb.
>
>Verse 6 does not refer to Mashiach, because Mashiach does not bring
>salvation to "the ends of the earth".  Mashiach brings salvation to
>Israel, and AS A BY-PRODUCT, the rest of the world will know G-d and
>will worship G-d - as they were commanded  (7 Noahide laws).

HH: It is the same thing. A prophet does not have to mention every fact
each time he brings up a subject. Isaiah talks about the messianic era
in his prophecies relating to the servant and clearly discusses the
salvation of Israel. For example, the last part of Isaiah 52 talks about
the servant, but the first part talks about the salvation of Israel:

Is. 52:1 Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength. Put on
your garments of splendor, O Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised
and defiled will not enter you again.
Is. 52:2 Shake off your dust; rise up, sit enthroned, O Jerusalem. Free
yourself from the chains on your neck, O captive Daughter of Zion.
Is. 52:3 For this is what the LORD says: “You were sold for nothing, and
without money you will be redeemed.”

>"Light for the nations" is what Israel is called.

HH: The person is a covenant to the people of Israel. It is the same
person in Isaiah 49 as in Isaiah 42.

Is. 42:6 “I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take
hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant
for the people and a light for the Gentiles,

Is. 49:8 This is what the LORD says: “In the time of my favor I will
answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you
and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land
and to reassign its desolate inheritances,

>Most commentaries agree that Verse 7  begins a new prophecy:  When
>G-d redeems Israel, which has been 'despised...loathed...a servant,"
>its disgrace will be ended and it will be honored by kings and
>rulers, who will recognize that redemption came about "because of
>Hashem".  Ibn Ezra says that the prophet is still speaking about
>himself and the contempt with which his prophecies have been treated.

HH: It is a person, the same person as in Isaiah 52-53. Compare the two
passages:

Is. 49:7 This is what the LORD says — the Redeemer and Holy One of
Israel — to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation, to the
servant of rulers: “Kings will see you and rise up, princes will see and
bow down, because of the LORD, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel,
who has chosen you.”

Is. 52:13 See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted
up and highly exalted.
Is. 52:14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him — his
appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred
beyond human likeness —
Is. 52:15 so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their
mouths because of him. For what they were not told, they will see, and
what they have not heard, they will understand.

Is. 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and
familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was
despised, and we esteemed him not.
Is. 53:4 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet
we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.

HH: This person is rejected by Israel at first. Note that Isaiah says
"we" esteemed him not, referring to Israel not esteeming him.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard