[b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Aug 30 09:02:50 EDT 2006

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

> Dear Harold:
>
> We DON'T have a concept about someone being AGAINST Mashiach or who
> imitates Mashiach as a pretender - that is a CHRISTIAN concept.
>
> And we don't use the English word Christ
>
> And this passage is not about Mashiach

HH: Right, I agree that Dan 11:22 is not about Mashiach. But whether you
use the English word Christ is not important because people in the first
century did use the Greek equivalent, and the idea of someone being a
pretend-Messiah or an anti-Messiah is easy to understand. You're right
that the concept is not taught plainly in the OT, but  it is
discernible. The beast of Daniel 7 is a world ruler who speaks great
things against God. He is replaced by a world kingdom that is from God,
whose ruler is shown in Dan 7:13-14. Many believe that person in Dan
7:13 is the Messiah.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard