[b-hebrew] Is YaH:WeH derived from IaBe or Iaoue or "Other"?

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:59:44 EDT 2006

On 8/24/06, David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 at juno.com> wrote:
> Is "YaH:WeH" an accurate translation of "Iaoue", or is it necessary to
> engage in scholarly speculation to translate "Iaoue" as "YaH:WeH"?  Many
> scholarly sources merely state that "Iaoue" favors the translation
> "Yahweh".
> Dave Donnelly

This is not a *translation* of Iaoue or of anything else. It is a
transliteration of an assumed vocalization of the consonants of God's
name in the Tanakh. You have your question backwards. Ιαου and Ιαβε
and however many other formulations are Greek transliterations of some
persons' opinion as to the pronunciation of the Holy Name.

I guess what you're asking is if his vocalization is based on these
transliterations or if he had other reasons for the pointing. To this,
I cannot respond well. I do not make it a habit to attempt
reconstructions of God's name. ;)

--
Yonah Mishael ben Avraham
Joplin, MO