[b-hebrew] Isaiah 30:13-14; conjunction

Kerry VonDross vondross at execpc.com
Wed Aug 23 08:26:11 EDT 2006

Dear Yigal,

Thank you for your response.  If the Creator of the Universe, Who transcends
time, issued these words through Isaiah as a prophetic simile of what was to
transpire in history, then a proper understanding of the text would help to
pinpoint the eventuality when it occurs.  I am not trying to challenge the
Jewish sages of Tiberia or rework the verses, but just attempting to
understand if the wording refers to a two-fold smashing:
...which / suddenly, /  in an instant, / comes /  its smashing. / And its
smashing / (is) as smashing / the / vessel of / a potter's / (when)
broken,..."
or a three-fold smashing:
...which / suddenly, /  in an instant, / comes.  Its smashing / and its
smashing / (is) as smashing / the / vessel of / a potter's / (when)
broken,..."

Finding "sheber shabar sheber" in the text is intriguing to me.  I was
attempting to know with some certainty if the Tiberian tradition translation
("sheber. shabar sheber") of a two-fold smashing was correct.

Kerry VonDross